Friday, October 15, 2010

Home is Where the Heart is

I realize that I haven't blogged since I have been home from Europe, but I have serisouly been so busy! There are so many people I want to see, so many things I want to do, on top of work and helping the family out. I am afraid I am starting to sound more and more like my mom, but really, life at home is crazy sometimes. Something ironic I have noticed this time around coming home is that I love it! The reason this seems kind of funny to me is because I just came back from one of the most beautiful places in the world, and all of the sudden, I am seeing all these great things Vidor, TX has to offer. (if you have never heard of it I do not suggest Googling it... I am a little afraid of what you might find haha)

Growing up here I swore I would leave and never come back, especially after living other places for the past few years (including Paradise I might add) The thing is, the things you can only find in a small little country town are what make make them worth living in. It's a twangy, potentially annoying song, but Tracy Byrd nailed home right on the head in one of his greatest hits. If you know me (or even if you dont), you know Im not a camouflage wearing, deer hunting, southern accented girl. The truth is though, I am a Texas girl through and through. If you don't know me too well, I may come across as a little prissy...yes I love make-up and big hair, but guess what state is known for that?? I love four-wheeler riding (especially when the driver is particularly attractive), country music, and lets not forget country boys. Could it be that I think his tractors sexy? It's quite possible. Likewise, these boys know how to work and know how to play, as a wise man once sang.

Among many other things, it's so safe. Vidor may get a bad rap for it's past...but the people here really are so nice. I admit, it may not be the classiest place (ie. the closest Nordstrom is 2 hours away...) but it's not ghetto or gangster. I never am afraid I am going to be shot, stabbed, or held at gunpoint while I am at a gas station (which I know of happening in close by towns). Am I by any means arguing the Vidor is perfect? Not at all. But maybe it deserves a little more credit then we all give it. There's just something so fun about being around people you grew up with, adults and peers...they knew you as a kids, they knew you as teenagers, and they love you anyway.

And for the corny part of the story...

Kenny Chesney's latest hit "Boys of Fall," and watching Montana's high school football games have left me feeling a weird sense of nostalgia. I am not one of those people who feels like high school was the best years of my life (by any means). I always felt like 16 going on 30, and never really felt like I related well to that age group. But, something about this song totally takes me back to the part of high school I actually loved. You may not understand if you weren't a cheerleader, athlete, or maybe even on the drill team or band, but this song has a way of bringing you back and making you remember that there were somethings in high school that weren't so bad. I can't wait for the day my brothers hear this song and call each other crying about it...I will be sure to blog the day it happens ;)

As the saying goes, there really is no place like home!! Everyone comes from somewhere, and chances are you love wherever you grew-up. I feel like knowing where you're from helps you understand who you a little bit better. After all, "you can't know where you're going if you don't know where you have been!"


No comments:

Post a Comment